Saturday, July 31, 2010

ASSIGNMENT FOR AUGUST 2

last meeting we were asked to do a compare/contrast 2 President's State of the Nation Address. And we were given 4 choices. I chose PNOY and GMA's SONA.


I searched in Google for former President Arroyo's copy of SONA and the 2009 SONA popped in. I scrutinized the copy of her speech since I listened to PNOY's SONA last week I dont need to criticize it that much.

ON GMA's SONA one thing that I really noticed is her appreciation and redundant praise to the congress. For some reason, in political view, GMa is already pleasing and appeasing the congress. Constant sarcasm is also present in her speech. " To those who want to be President, this advice: If you really want something done, just do it. Do it hard, do it well. Don’t pussyfoot. Don’t pander. And don’t say bad words in public."

With such GMA stated the projects that her administration had encountered and those formulated policies for the success of this projects. Just like every other president Arroyo enumerated all her administration's accomplishment and what they did for the country.

Moving on, I personally think that listening to Arroyo's state of the nation address was listening to a government who took time to formulate a domestic and foreign policy which the administration will all agree about and something that can be easily implemented.

This SONA emphasizes the importance of policy making. And implementing it.


ON PNOY's SONA

Last monday, before I come to class, I was with my dad, watching the SONA. Using my iPad I was online and logged in to twitter to see the streaming and reactions of the mob. Most people was mad right after the SONA and maybe even in the middle of the speech. And most were impressed with PNOY's SONA. For some reason, I think they were wrong to be impressed though.

PNOY's speech focused on his rants about the past administration. Which I think was wrong the impression for me was he was playing it safe. NO policies were raise and was mentioned. Yes, he did stated some of the things that his administration had done for the past week. But his speech is about rant, complain and in short negativity.

But since it was his first SONA, there's still a room for error. I hope that in the next SONA he will be able to lay down his policies and plan. In his last SONA I felt like he was still campaigning.

No comments:

Post a Comment